Sunday, January 28, 2007

I wish i was super loaded

Money can't make you happy.
There are times when you wish you had enough to prevent others from hurting or leaving us in this world.

Once a month, I have a Charity lunch in my house.
My way of giving back, trying to make some wrongs right in the world.
Last month I did the Mona foundation [www.monafoundation.org ] , this was my way of explaining the Bahai faith, the struggles my parents had to endure as they fled Iran and lost so much [ its hard to tell someone you were once a refugee when you live such a happy blessed life ].

I can honestly say I have never personally given to charity, I donated but never actually went onto a website and felt the huge responsibility. we made $60.00 [ each person donated 2-3 ]
so lunch was a success.

This month I wanted to do St judes. I was set. Jan 31st was soup day.
Last week I had a group of friends over for dinner.
One was special. Her husband and herself came over for the first time.
Her husband has recently started his residency in Anesthesia only 7 months ago.
It also happened that 7 months ago when they moved to Texas , her sister joined her to help them move and settle in. within 2 weeks the sister discovered she has breast cancer and dies.

Moving to a city where you know no one, have 2 children and a husband that works long hours [ 70 + ] is hard enough but to had the deep pain of loss.

I can't speak of understanding... but only imagine.

so at this dinner, I mentioned the charity lunch.
She was so excited to support and attend that i felt I owe her something.
I owe her to make it a success.

So now Jan 31st is a fight against cancer.
and all proceeds will be donated no longer in my name but her sisters.
Times like these I wish i was loaded.

Best i can do is make the damn soup and invite a hell of a lot of really loaded people